Fighting the good fight
John C. Whitfield
Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP
19 N. Main Street
Madisonville, KY 42431
518 Monroe Street
Nashville, TN 37208
For 33 years, John has been one of Kentucky’s premier trial attorneys. He has represented numerous injured parties in the Paducah, Ohio Valley and Western Kentucky areas. He has concentrated primarily on complex civil litigation cases, and over his career has brought to settlement or judgment over 30 cases in excess of a million dollars each. John is certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and has represented individuals in all walks of life against negligent workplace practices, reckless physicians, predatory businesses, and inattentive automobile drivers among many others.
John graduated with distinction from the University of Kentucky with his undergraduate degree before attending law school at the university. Throughout his career, John has represented scores of patients who have been the victims of medical negligence, obtaining verdicts and settlements in both state and federal courts. He has handled cases for landowners victim to fraudulent mine royalty practices, for homeowners whose homes and business contained defective concrete, and for Kentucky residents who were overcharged for premium insurance taxes.
John is a frequent lecturer of litigation subjects with the Kentucky Justice Association and American Association for Justice, and has been recognized as a Kentucky Super Lawyer multiple times. He is AV rated by the Martindale-Hubbell rating service.
- State of Kentucky
- State of Tennessee
- State of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Named to Kentucky Super Lawyers, 2007-2010, 2013-2019
- Continental Who’s Who, Pinnacle Lifetime Member
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named 10 Best Personal Injury Lawyers from the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Professional associations and memberships
- Kentucky Justice Association, Contributing Editor of Trial Practice Magazine The Advocate
- American Association for Justice, Litigation Medical negligence, and Railroad Sections
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Hopkins County Bar Association
- Madisonville-Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce, Chairman (2000-2001)
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Contributing Editor of Trial Practice section for The Advocate
- Kentucky Attorney Disciplinary System, Trial Commissioner
- Hopkins Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hopkins County Salvation Army, Board Member
- University of Kentucky – Lexington: B.A., with distinction, 1979
- University of Kentucky – Lexington: J.D., 1982
- Lead Counsel in a products liability case against a cosmetic manufacturer
- Lead Counsel in a products case where the design flaw of a shuttle car resulted in the death of a miner, resulting in a $625,000 settlement.
- Lead Counsel in a case involving negligent nursing supervision of intensive care monitoring, resulting in a confidential six figure settlement.
- February 2013: Co-lead Counsel on a three week jury trial in Madisonville, Kentucky resulting in a $1.39 million verdict in favor of a church and a business against two coal companies for causing subsidence to their properties
- Co-Lead Counsel in the Pyro Mine Disaster that claimed the lives of 10 miners at the Williams Station Mine in Union County Kentucky
- Counsel for recipients of the Bjork Shiley heart valve, leading to a worldwide settlement against the manufacturer
- Obtained numerous million dollar judgments for various landowners throughout Kentucky who were victims of fraudulent mine royalty practices
- Represented hundreds of homeowners in Western Kentucky for defective concrete utilized in their homes and businesses
- Co-counsel in 2009 for a class of Kentucky residents overcharged for premium insurance taxes, resulting in settlements against insurance companies for several million dollars
Let’s start talking about your case right now with a free consultation!
Whether you’re certain that you have a case or just want to talk to an experienced lawyer, we’re here to help. No matter how complex the case or how daunting the opposition, we fight for our clients every step of the way.
Get in touch
Toll free: 855-926-2889
I feel like they really care about me. I consider them good friends.