Fighting the good fight Nationally
Top 10 Dangerous Toys of 2019
With the holiday season in full swing, many of us are shopping for presents for those we care about. Giving gifts to children is always a particularly joyful part of the holidays, but not all children’s gifts are created equal. Every year, in an effort to keep the public informed of dangers, World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) releases a list of the top ten most dangerous toys of the year.
Dangerous Toys To Watch Out For
The top ten dangerous toys for 2019 range from toy guns to toys toddlers can pull around, with no particular type of toy or age range left immune from scrutiny. While the toy industry says groups like W.A.T.C.H. are needlessly scaring parents, the group believes in giving examples of hazards acknowledged by the industry backed by decades of data, including small parts and other choking hazards. This year’s winners (or losers) include:
- Nerf Ultra One: It fires up to 120 feet and can cause eye injuries.
- Spike the Fine Motor Hedgehog: Its hard plastic removable quills can lead to ingestion injuries and choking.
- Bunchems Bunch ‘n Build: The plastic, connective pieces of these dangerous toys may get entangled in hair and may cause choking.
- Yeti: The stuffed animal’s long hair may come out and be ingested and/or cause aspiration.
- Nickelodeon Frozen Treats Slime: Even though it’s designed to look like something yummy a kid can eat, the package warns it’s not real food and shouldn’t be eaten. The confusion can lead to chemical ingestion and irritation injuries.
- Anstoy Electric Toy Gun: Please do not give your children a realistic-looking weapon like this one for the holidays.
- Diecast School Bus: The rubber tires are removable and could cause choking.
- Flybar Pogo Trick Board: The toy’s packaging doesn’t show kids wearing necessary helmets or other protective gear. Failing to do so can lead to head injuries.
- Power Rangers Electronic Cheetah Claw: The toy claw can cause eye injuries and/or facial injuries.
- Viga Pull-Along Caterpillar: The caterpillar toy’s 24-inch pull cord can strangle or entangle children.
Products Liability Lawyers
If dangerous toys harmed your child, it is important to speak with an experienced consumer products liability lawyer. Your family may be entitled to substantial financial compensation critical to helping you cope with your child’s injuries. The list of potential injuries from dangerous toys is virtually endless. Broken bones, brain and spinal cord injuries, and asphyxiation are just a few of the dangers parents much watch out for this holiday season. Contact Whitfield, Bryson & Mason for a free consultation about your potential claims.
Whitfield Bryson & Mason
Our trial lawyers were specifically chosen for the depth of their experience and the breadth of their knowledge. Among the group are attorneys who have been recognized for excellence by industry associations and have gained national recognition for significant victories in challenging cases.
John Whitfield has been significant in his management of a suit involving the death of my son in a motorcycle accident. His professionalism, compassion, support, and especially his knowledge base in this suit has been above reproach. He has communicated well and kept all parties apprised of the status of the suit. I feel he negotiated effectively to reach the best possible settlement for my son's estate. He certainly assures his clients are represented well. I am grateful for his successfully bringing this suit to a satisfactory conclusion. In short, John's expertise has been awesome.
I am very grateful to Gary Mason for taking the initiative in filing suit against the manufacturers of defective CSST pipe. I am sure that this successful litigation will now help Maryland homeowners become aware of the danger of old style CSST pipe and to let them know what steps they may take to protect themselves against those dangers. Who knows how many lives and homes may be saved as a result of his efforts. Thank you Gary Mason for your important work in this litigation. I enjoyed working with him on this effort.