Fighting the good fight
Matthew E. Lee
Whitfield, Bryson & Mason LLP
900 W. Morgan Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
Matthew Lee is a partner at Whitfield, Bryson & Mason LLP and, for the last 10 years, has focused his practice on fighting for people who need help. Too often, a large corporation will run roughshod over the rights of individuals and homeowners who look up one day to find the deck stacked against them with nowhere to turn. Matt takes great pride in being part of a firm that’s committed to standing shoulder to shoulder with its clients to fight and win these battles against what sometimes seem like impossible odds.
Matt earned his law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law in 2006 and his Bachelor of Arts from The Catholic University of America, cum laude, in 2001. While at Wake Forest, Matt was the 2005 Zeliff Trial Competition Champion, a regional finalist at the 2006 American Association for Justice (AAJ) Trial Advocacy Competition, the AAJ Student Chapter President, and was selected as a member of the Order of Barristers. In addition, Matt spent several months clerking for the United States Attorney’s Office in Greensboro, North Carolina.
Matt is a graduate of Leadership Raleigh 25 with the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce and co-chair of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Trial Advocacy Competition in Raleigh, NC.
Matt handles complex litigation, primarily construction defect, product liability, business disputes, and wrongful death cases, and has secured substantial verdicts and settlements in a variety of matters, including multi-million dollar verdicts for homeowners associations in construction defect litigation and large settlements in wrongful death and product liability cases.
Matt was recently appointed to the Plaintiffs Steering Committee in Multi-District Litigation No. 2688 In Re: Windsor Wood Clad Window Products Liability Litigation.
- State of North Carolina
- State of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Super Lawyers, 2012-2017
- Selected for inclusion in Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2014-2016
- American Association for Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition Raleigh Regional, Co-Chair, 2012 – present
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Pro Bono attorney
- North Carolina Bar Association’s Lawyer on the Line Project, Pro Bono attorney
- 12 Angry Men (and Women), NCBA Construction Law Section Annual Meeting, October 2016
- Insurance: Covered v. Uncovered, National Business Institute, Construction Defect Litigation from A to Z CLE Seminar, Raleigh, NC, May 2015
- Using Forensic Engineering Information in Litigation, HalfMoon Seminars, Structural Forensic Engineering Seminar, Chapel Hill, NC, October 2014
- Nuts and Bolts of Trying a Construction Defect Case, North Carolina Bar Association, 2013 NC/SC Construction Law Sections Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, September 2013
- The Catholic University of America: B.A. Cum Laude, 2001
- Wake Forest University School of Law: J.D., 2006
- Secured several confidential seven-figure settlements in commercial and residential construction defect disputes
- February 2013: Won a $1.39 million verdict after a three week jury trial in Madisonville, Kentucky on behalf of a church and a business against two coal companies for causing subsidence to their properties
- June 2012: Won a verdict and judgment of over $3 million after a three week jury trial in Wilmington, North Carolina involving a contractor’s defective construction of marine bulkhead
- February 2011: Won a verdict and judgment in excess of $3.5 million after a two week jury trial involving developer’s deceptive advertising and shoddy construction of subdivision roads in the mountains of Western North Carolina
- Speaker, “12 Angry Men (and Women),” North Carolina Bar Association, 2016 NC Construction Law Section Annual Meeting, New Bern, NC, September 30 – October 1, 2016
- Speaker, “Construction Defect Litigation for Paralegals,” 2015 Raleigh-Wake Paralegal Association Annual Seminar, Raleigh, NC, October 9, 2015
- Speaker, “Insurance: Covered v. Uncovered” and “Construction Case Law Update,” National Business Institute, Construction Defect Litigation from A to Z CLE Seminar, Raleigh, NC, May 18, 2015
- Co-speaker, “Using Forensic Engineering Information in Litigation,” HalfMoon Seminars, Structural Forensic Engineering Seminar, Chapel Hill, NC, October 21, 2014
- Co-speaker, “Nuts and Bolts of Trying a Construction Defect Case,” North Carolina Bar Association, 2013 NC/SC Construction Law Sections Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, September 27-28, 2013
Let’s start talking about your case right now with a free consultation!
Whether you’re certain that you have a case or just want to talk to an experienced lawyer, we’re here to help. No matter how complex the case or how daunting the opposition, we fight for our clients every step of the way.
Get in touch
Toll free: 855-926-2889
“…decades of experience in litigation construction product defect cases on an individual, multi-family, and class basis.”